Warning on widened rims(was Tire Size for 5.5in. Rims)

AROCA (Vic) banned widened rims in competition events quite a while ago,
after several incidents of failure of widened steel rims on the track.
Needless to say, this would not be a very pleasant thing to happen.

Keith

> From: Les Singh <>
>
> Others have fitted 205/55x14 and one guy had massive 205/70x14 on his
GTV
for a while
> although the handling left a lot to be desired. They also looked gross
> oops... done it again! Now someone will tell me that they like the
look of
> tractor tyres on GTVs..

Ben replied

a friend of mine bought a 1750 GTV with 225 tyres on it (not sure what
aspect ratio) - on stock 5.5inch rims - it looked ridiculous, and
scraped
the guards constantly.  Mind you, the same dude that put the tyres on,
also
chopped 2 inches off the front springs, so the car wouldnt even get into
our
driveway.  the car is much happier now with ride height returned to
normal,
and 15x6" speedlites and 195/60x15 Yoko AVSi's

Les - you said you had a set of widened Giulia wheels - are these the
15x4.5
inch rims that came on the early 105 series cars?  how far were they
widened
and how did they look?  I really like the stock look of the wheels on my
car, but would definately like 15" rims...  15x6 would be ideal.  Did
you
have them widened yourself?