Re: Digest legal issues.

Richard wrote:

>krusty & digest.net, on the other hand, are a "hobby gone insane", as i put
>it on the IHC Digest a couple of weeks ago. krusty is simply a DBA, affording
>no real legal protection for my personal assets. this recent legal threat
>concerns me greatly as my house, property, etc., are directly at risk.
>i cannot walk away; i will do what is necessary to defend myself. however,
>if the cost of running the lists comes to, say, $2500 a year to defend
>against gratuitous lawsuits, then that is too high a price to pay for a
>"hobby gone insane" -- and the lists will have to go.

Nice country you live in there? Is the policy that if you want to stay safe,
say nothing and do nothing?

Would it solve anything if I and all other participants in the list
filled out an entry form to stay on the list, saying something to
the effect that: "I understand that if put myself or anyone else at
risk by following advices given here, I have myself to blame for
not checking that it was safe. If anything in this list offends me,
I cannot blame the list maintainer for such incidents."

Or in other words, if we acknowledge that Krusty Motorsports is not the
editor of this digest, just the distribution channel. In fact I would
think this digest is not a responsible publication, but the Internet
equivalent to the air carrying the sound of speech in a private closed party.

Maybe any of you attorney guys could look into the possibility of
the list participants having to agree to such a disclaimer, and
what it should say. But then again you might be legally responsible
if it showed not to hold water?  <sigh!>

Who do you sue when the message distribution is through a usenet group
and not a list or digest?

- --
Einar Sjaavik, einar_sjavik@domain.elided,
http://www.login.eunet.no/~einar/
1986 Alfa GTV 2.0, 1986 Maserati Spyder 2.5, 1974 Mini 1000, 1952
Ferguson TEA