Rear Axle Problems

 Attn: Antti Suskuvara - I had similar problems with my 2600 when I got it.
Unfortunately, I can't quite remember whether it went left or right on
acceleration but I think it was as you describe (acceleration in a 2600 is
something of a misuse of the word).  Of course, it was caused by the
lateral torque reaction in the differential which was not properly reacted
by the lateral positioning A-arm, attached to the diff housing, which had
worn out rubber pads. On the '71 you have the T-bar with the same rubber
pads. I would remove and replace them, the ones on the diff that is. When
you have the diff attachment removed check the T-bar motion against the
frame for looseness. I doubt that's the problem, but worth checking. If the
frame attachment is loose, I'd get a good T-bar from a junkyard. I tried
removing those T-bar frame bushings once and broke my cheapo 12 ton press
before I gave up.   Failing in the preceding, it could be the bushings in
the trailing arms, worth checking. But when you do, loosen  up the bolts
holding them because they might be worn out for some reason between the
bushing and the bolt (weren't tightened in the first place?). Again, I
doubt thats the problem. The top of the differential is the most likely.

Rube Erickson    end