Should I Replace the Water Pump?

My 164B has caused the local recommended mechanic fits (M&M in
Rhinebeck, NY).  What started out as an endeavor to cure an overheating
problem has turned out to be the problem from hell.  Heck, he's had the
car more than we have, just having purchased it.  I've compiled a
lengthy list of notes over the past several weeks of people complaining
about similar problems, so this is not unique.  The initial quick fix
was to wire in a toggle switch to run both fans.  This cooled the car
down.  Mark Jones in MD also did this to his 164.  However, I am not
satisfied with this solution.  Here's what's been done so far.

1)  Validate temp sending unit and gauge read accurately within a few
degrees
2)  Replace radiator relay
3)  Replace temperature switch on radiator
4)  Replace thermostat
5)  Have radiator "rotted out" to correct 50 degree temperature gradient
from side to side
6)  Replace temperature switch again.
7)  Profile engine temperature
    -  This says the temperature at the sending unit is 220 degrees, but
160 at the radiator.

Based on above, the mechanic's suspicion is that the impellers in the
water pump are bad, causing the disparity in temperature.  Of course,
he'll replace the timing belt while in there, but the timing belt has
already been replaced once under warranty and the car has a total of 70k
miles.  Keep in mind the heater does work.  The classic weepy impending
water pump failure symptoms are not there.

So, do I keep throwing parts at this hoping it will get fixed or does
anyone have other ideas?  Please e-mail me directly with your thoughts
and suggestions.

Thank you,
Carl Prochilo
164B Black Automatic