rivetingly pedantic..

J. Hertzman wrote:

"..One, there are pop rivets on 101 and 115 cars- not as many, but quite
a few.
Two, rivets (properly applied) do not break the paint film, which (in my
experience) sheet-metal screws invariably do, leading (again, in my
experience) to eventual corrosion problems...."

Yep, if the paint/primer film was unbroken in the first place, then the
aluminum rivet wouldn't corrode (assuming non-saltwater environment &
decent anodiize).  We're very fond of rivets around here and use them
for most all joints except when maintenance requires removal.  Might
note that these are almost always solid, not blind, rivets that are
bucked and fill the hole.  Blind rivets are used only when both sides of
the rivet aren't accessible for bucking.  Might also be worth noting
that welding is used only on military aircraft where the high cost of
frequent inspections isn't important (talking welds on >200 ksi steels).
(One exception: welding OK on castings, since microstructure is the same
if subsequently re-heat treated....enough!)

Now more importantly, who can tell me if I'll be able to import an AWD
164?!  D**n Audi is still waiting for parts.

cheers,
Robert Hardwick, Seattle