GTV6 engine hesitation

This long weekend I took a longinsh trip from Santa Barbara down to San
Diego and back in my GTV6 and I on the way down I got the following
problem twice:  The engine would lose power for a few seconds and would
not respond to the accelerator.   The one time it happend while I was
doing about 75mph and it just cut for a second and then resumed and the
second time (the next day) I was going much slower and I had to pull
over to the side of the highway.  The engine did not shut down
completely, it just would not have any power.  I opened the hood and
heard a couple of loud detonations (as if the engine was misfiring) and
then the problem went away.  Since the last incident I drove for a few
hundred miles without a problem but I always tried to stay near the
breakdown lane just in case it happens again.  Does this behavior sound
familiar to anybody?  I would think it's a fuel delievery problem,
probably a clogged filter (although the filter is relatively new).  Any
other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Vangelis

83 Spider