Misfiring/petrol fumes

I have a 1976 GT 1600 Junior with a 2 litre engine. When the engine was
transplated I fitted new carb mounts. The engine misfires at anything over
3500 rpm and there are a load of petrol fumes getting into the cabin. I'm
pretty sure that the carbs are angled down towards the engine, although
it's pretty hard to tell with the engine installed. I can't spot any
obvious petrol leaks and I've checked over the ignition system and can't
find anything wrong, although it hasn't been fully tuned yet. Does anyone
recognise these symptoms or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

While I'm here, I have some 105 series spares (most from a 2000 Berlina)
for sale. I need the space they're taking up in my spare room!

Instrument Panel
Front Hubs (pair)
Rear Axle with LSD
Rear discs (pair)
Propshaft
Petrol Tank
Steering Box
Radiator
Spring pans and seats (pair)
Front and rear brake calipers  (2 x pair)
A/C parts - radiator, compressor, etc

Gearbox from GT 1600 Junior (good condition, 2nd synchro not too bad)

Any offers considered - I'm located in London, UK.

Jez Arnold
jez@domain.elided
1976 GT 1600 Junior
1988 Sprint Veloce 1.7