desmostuff / red lines /

Hi friends,

I read Scott F=B4s. message, and I want to agree with him about the
W196=B4s desmodronic distribution.  I saw a diagram about that stuff,
and that was -aproximately- a kind of fork between the valve and the
cam, doing a job which could be compared to a connecting rod=B4s job. Ther=
was no spring, and the diagram=B4s commentary said that valve closure
was mainly due to cylinder compression that pushed the valve against
its seat. So the higher rpm, the higher valve closure efficiency. At
low rpms, there was compression loss.

As arg., I enjoyed Scott=B4s comment on JMF. I=B4d like to tell you
another short story on him. In 1980, Mercedes Benz brought to
Argentina 3 models 500slc to race the Mercosur Rally. At the starting
line, Fangio asked Mercedes=B4chief of engineers the self-blocking
transmission system torque set up they=B4d chosen. After being answered hi=
s question,
he replied "That=B4s too much. You=B4re going to break the driveshafts".
None of Mercedes got to the finish line. Reason: broken
driveshafts....

Re: red lines, I=B4d like to say that engine=B4s mechanical rpm limit is
also given by average piston speed, what depends on engine=B4s stroke.
The longer stroke, the lower max rpm limit.

Greetings from Argentina

Raul Olchansky
81 Alfasud (born 1.3, grown up 1.7) "Yo tengo el corazon mirando al
Sur"