Re: alfa-digest V7 #72

>I'm in need of a gas tank for my '74 spider. I think they are the same
>from about '73 to '76 (at least in the USA).

The physical dimensions of the tanks are the same right through to '94. Later Spica
tanks than yours simply have more fittings for evaporative emissions equipment.
These can simply be capped off on an earlier car. You should even be able to buy a
brand new tank from a Bosch injected car, and have a radiator shop modify it by
removing the fittings from your tank and installing them on the new tank.

About two years ago I needed a gas tank for a 1967 Fiat Dino coupe (you think
you've got problems). The bewhiskered older gentleman at a local radiator shop eyed
it up and said "dang, that thing's about the same size as a '57 Chevy tank". So he
ordered one in for me; the filler neck and ALL of the fittings were completely
different, but the tank itself fit the Dino perfectly. He then removed the neck and
sender port from my old tank and soldered them on to the new tank, and soldered
over the Chevy fittings. Viola, Dino gas tank. Total cost, about $400.00.
Joel