RE: Track tires for 75 3.0V6

At 03:21 PM 8/31/98 -0400, Brian Shorey wrote:
>back from monterey and vacation, and just catching up..
>
>>  I believe his first iteration
>> employed Yoko A-008's, and then got the R-1's for a good deal and
>> he's very
>> happy with them.

the A008 family (R, Rtu, RS) worked well in their time. the R-1 name covers
a wide array of competition tires that BFG has produced, and they have
generally been cutting edge or close too it throughout the time that the
name has been used.

the R-1 name is about to go out of use; R-1s are hard to get right now and
there will be a new tire with a different name in the very near future.

>> At over USD$140 a tire, I can't afford to change out the tires in
>> case they
>> don't work out!

>just run a few sessions, you'll be changing them before you know it.  the
>street life is less than 2k miles.  make sure to break them in properly, or
>have them heat cycled prior to use, otherwise they'll wear out even faster.

break in can be a bitch. you need to put a good heat cycle into a set of
R-1s, and then set them aside for 24 hours to get the compound to set up
correctly. this is _not_ true of all dot race compound tires. if you buy
something different, you need to find someone who is familiar with the tire
to tell you what works for that tire.

richard