1750 spider vs. Saturn wagon

and I won.

I was stopped at a light all of 1/2 mile from my house when I heard
a crash behind, then another, then another that I felt as well.  All
I could think was that those bumpers that some people think are
worthless had not protected the back end at all.

Jumped out of the car and, on first glance, didn't see anything wrong
with the back of my car, though the Saturn behind me clearly had a
broken headlight and a scrunched hood.

Full details:  the Saturn's bumper, being sloped down pretty far, had
gotten under the overriders (is that what we call them?  the oval
bumper pieces with the rubber inserts) on my 1750's bumper.  The over-
riders left rubber tracks up the Saturn's (plastic) bumper, up over
the headlights (one was broken), and into the hood, which was folded
back in one place.  On my car, the Saturn's nose did push in the
lower body (below the bumper) in one place maybe 1/3" and scratched
the paint but didn't get down to metal.  My bumpers got pushed in to
remove paint behind them on the body (which apparently happened to this
car before I owned it as well).  The rubber in the overriders was
scratched and scraped up a bit but they're still presentable.

All in all, after touch up paint and readjusting the distance between
my bumpers and the body, my car is fine until it gets restored someday
in the far future.

Oh yes, no one was hurt (but I would have mentioned that first).

Hope to see lots of you at the vintage races in Lime Rock next weekend.
If I bring that car, it'll be the mocha brown one.

Fred