Re: Alfa tourist

At 03:14 PM 8/28/1998 -0700, Gary Stark wrote:
>My primary concern with an alfa would be the twin problems of parts
>supply plus good mechanic supply. i know that ben said he can do the
>work himself, but equally, he will be visiting here for a short time.

Yes, this would be my concern.  Parts for old Alfas can't be bought off the
shelf in a lot of good-sized cities, let alone in the hinterland.  And
sometimes the mail-order houses are out of routine items for long periods.
It could be a drag to spend 2 weeks of a 3-month holiday waiting in
Tucumcari for a back-ordered fuel injection drive belt to arrive from
International Auto Parts, back in Virginia.  I wouldn't undertake such a
trip without a good supply of spares on board.

>With what toolkit, one might ask rhetorically?
Hmm.  I'll be the Digest could recommend some essential tools and parts  to
carry along.  They might include some things a competent mechanic from Down
Under wouldn't think of, like that SPICA drive belt.

Dana