Re: California Smog Cutoff

In an otherwise solid overview of the '74 GTV situation in the Bay Area,
Graham Arlen (Alfisto@domain.elided) opined:

>74 GTV is generally considered to be best model. It is fuel injected and has
>least smog equipment. It also has one more test to go before being smog test
>free. (73 is cut-off year in CA)

This isn't, unfortunately, true. It a typical political compromise,
we owners of '74 models got shafted. There was a big debate in the
legislature as to whether the rolling cutoff for old cars should be
25 or 30 years. The compromise was that they would set it at 25 years
starting this year (i.e. 1973 model year) but that it wouldn't start
"rolling" until 30 years. This means that those of us on the wrong
side of the cusp have to have our cars checked three more times in 1998,
2000 and 2002 before becoming exempt in 2003. Bleh.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |