Crazy spider

Hi Everybody;

I have a 1982 Alfa Spider with BOSCH FI and I can not get it to run
consistently.  The symptoms are rough idle then sometimes a smooth
idle.  The idle fluctuates from 800 (Rough Idle) to 1000 rpm (Smooth
Idle).  The car runs fine above 3000 rpm?? Some times it  runs fine up
to 3000 rpm but most of the time the car sounds like it has a broken
exhaust until 3000 rpm is reached then it runs fine.

I  have checked for vacuum leaks and sprayed WD 40 everywhere on the FI
Unit to see if the idle changed but it didn't.  When the car is running
bad you can smell the exhaust fumes  and Fuel Consumption is UP!  The O2
sensor is new.  I tried disconnecting the O2 sensor but the car ran
worse.

I think the Ignition timing is changing from Advance to Retarded
conditions on me.  The only thing I can think of is that my Variable
Valve Timing is changing on me while I drive, but I doubt that. Or the
problem lies with the Distributor or Coil. I tried disconnecting the
Tach but that did not make a change. (Don't ask, I read that somewhere)

If anybody can help I would appreciate it, I do not want to start
replacing components blind.

Thanks in Advance

Ralph DeLauretis
Trenton, New Jersey