164 high heat solution

I got so tired of trying to figure what was 'wrong' with my cooling systems
on both 164s we own, that I hard-wired the fan, bypassing the thermostat on
the radiator, making the fan run continuously.  The 'normal' temperatures
are too high for my taste, age and wear on all of the rubber & plastic parts
under the hood must be accelerated under higher temperatures.  Since I had
two cars, I bypassed the low speed circuit on one car, and the high speed
circuit on the other.  Both cars run now cooler, I have seen no ill affects
from doing this.  I still have enough heat for DC area winters.  It really
doesn't seem to matter which speed the fan runs continuously on, the
difference in temp was not great.  I am sorry I don't recall the exact
temperatures the guages show, I stopped paying attention when I was
comfortable with the results of my efforts.  It seems to me, the complicated
variable fan speed switching circuits are more of a headache than a
necessity on these cars, at least in my climate.

BTW, I recall another digester fitted a VW Golf thermoswitch w/ a lower
'switch on' point and had good results.

Mark Jones
Chevy Chase, MD
92 164L