cromati/inossidabile/gommati

As always, John Hertzman has chased down the errors and inconsistencies in
my post about the bumpers on 1750 coupes.  When I described earlier ones as
"thicker" than later ones, I was referring to the cross-section of the
bumper, not the guage of the metal.  So, if John says the thickness of the
metal is the same with both types, I don't dispute it.

John also wrote that the alloys used in the early and late bumpers were
different, the early one being nonmagnetic, and the late one magnetic.  I
believe nevertheless that the late bumpers are stainless steel, not
chromed.  So, the term "rostri cromati" is probably not strictly correct.
They might better be described as "rostri gommati" (rubberized), as some
books have it.

Mark Battley took a different tack, asking how the front parking lights on
US model coupes were mounted.  They were suspended from the bottom of the
bumpers, and the front sheet metal does not have a cutout for the lights.
I cannot guess the reason for this difference between the US- and
World-market coupes.  It would not have been dicated by US regulations at
the time.

Dana Loomis