Starting the SPICA Spider

Everyone with a SPICA (or Bosch) spider should know not to pump the gas
pedal when trying to start the car.  This works with carbs, which pump
in more gas when the accelerator is depressed, but not with fuel
injection.

But there are ways to encourage a SPICA spider to start.  First, put in
new Lodge plugs.  Second, replace the points and coil with what our
oriental friends quaintly refer to as a "pointless" ignition (true on
most non-Alfas, isn't it?).  Third, (don't say I said this but it works)
push the accelerator all the way to the floor BEFORE turning the key to
engage the starter and hold it there.  As you engage the starter,
GRADUALLY release the accelerator.  My car almost always starts this way
unless I have loaded up one of the plugs (see item 1 above).

Good luck

George Pond
Albany, NY