1750 bumpers

Ben Dixon commented:
<the bumper overriders appear to be a series1/series2 thing.

<There are two distinct types of 1750 bumpers here - early and late types
<- - the early type is 'more solid' than the late type, which is lighter
<weight, but not as nice looking.  the early type had mounting holes for
<the front turn signals.  the later 1750s had the turn signals mounted on
<the body.  The series 1 bumpers are Stainless Steel.  I dont know about
<the later ones.

My understanding is that the series 2 1750 bumpers are the same as on the 2000cc
cars: which are stainless, with overriders, and with the turn signals on the body
above the bumper: at least on the "Eurospec" cars anyhow....

John Hertzman's eye for detail comes to "light" again:
<The late 1750s and 2000s had
<identical stainless-steel bumpers with a slightly angular section, differing
<slightly around the parking-lights on the European and USA versions. (European
<parking-lights above, and the bumpers recessed slightly; US parking lights
<below, with a continuous section to the bumper).

I hadn't noticed this before, but checking a few pictures I see that he is
correct. Are the USA parking lights attached to the bumper or the body? (it looks
like the bumper on the pictures I've got) Presumably this means that the front
sheet metal is different too: the USA versions can't have the rectangular cutouts
for the turn signals: Are different part numbers listed for the front panels?

And why??... they raised the front ride height to make the front headlights
higher but put the turn signals lower....???

Trivia week continues!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

105/115 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML