crazy Alfa trip idea

Bill Harkell wrote:

> I want to drive the perimeter of the US, in my 168, and visit all the
> good stuff along the way. It would be a major "on the cheap" trip,
> either tenting or cheapo motels, starting in Tampa Florida, going
> northeast to family in NY NJ and Mass.then a concentration on the
> northwest (Wash. Oregon), Coast road to LA, then east through Santa Fe
> of course, and back east to Florida through Texas and New Orleans.

I haven't done such a trip, but the GTV-6 Ball Peen Special has
been driven by me in every state and D.C. in the continental U.S.
However, this was not done as a single trip, it took several
years. That's how I was able to rack up those 350,000+ miles
(564,500+ km) on the worlds highest mileage GTV-6.

When you come through West Texas (not the panhandle!) we can put
you up in Alpine (~80 miles north of Big Bend Nat'l Park
- -definitely "good stuff" and on the Texas/Mexico border- and ~65
miles -as the crow flies- south of IH 10) and we'll feed you
something better than the "other Texas Bernie's" beans and
weenies (BTW we're about ~525 miles west of him).

Sorry to say, we don't have any club meetings here in Alpine
since we own all the Alfas in the tri-county area (about the size
of New England) but if you end up in Austin, TX on October 10th
you can join us for the Best Roads of Texas Tour, which I'll be
leading.

If your trip is early next year you may be able to join the
Italians planning a coast-to-coast vintage Alfa Romeo rally for
the folks from the Alfa Romeo Italian Registry. Let me know if
you want more details on this event, which is in the early
planning stages. THC-AROC *may* put on a special spring BRoT for
them.

Bernardo