Bill's Crazy Alfa Trip Idea

In AD7-062 Bernie Bennett writes "You're just talking about the lower 48? No
Canada/Alaska?" without a 'smiley'- presumably assuming that Canadians and
Hawaiians dig Texus humor. One hopes so, he would be missed.

Bill, of the Alfa Romeo Rescue and Search Society (ARRSS) had asked, of his
putative peripheral perambulation, "Has anyone done this? Did you survive?"
Bill is evidently too young to remember the One Lap of America race (oops,
rally) which was an offshoot of the Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea - ah-
rally which had been initiated, I believe, by some of the staff of Car and
Driver magazine without any technical/legal liability of the publisher. I have
no records, only fallible memory, but one of the last heads of ARDONA ran the
O.L. of A. in his "private" Milano, blowing much of his salary (expense
account?) on jumped bonds and losing cognito driving rights in too many places
to record, but said he had much fun and we should do it again. That is the
legend, anyhow; do any middle-aged geezers remember the details?

John