Re: Slumbering Alfas

Duke,

> From: "Duke and Shelly Jones" <dukeshel@domain.elided>
> To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: Funky Spider Starting Ritual
> Date: Thu, Sep 24, 1998, 22:52
>

> Alfisti,
>     Here's an odd one from the "My Spider Smokes Crack" files.  When I turn
> the ignition switch on my 89' grad the starter motor picks up and cranks.
> It doesn't fire and sometimes it cuts out of its own volition.  After two to
> ten of these little fake starts, it fires -- when the key is released to the
> run position.  It stutters and starts.  It will not start with the key in
> the start up position.  Any guesses?  I would like to solve this.  My local
> guru has a long enough list for this car.

	My 79 Alfa Spider has the same exact problem, it just will not
want to start in the morning, but after awhile it will grudgingly fire up
and rumble.  It will sometimes stop of its own accord and it will stop
sometimes when I step on the gas even slightly.  Sometimes when I think
it's warmed up and ready to go I put it in gear and it dies on me.  I get
little false starts and it also does not start until I let go of the key.
But later in the day if I'm running errands, I jump in and it starts on
the first millisecond of crank.  I guess my Spider is like me, not
neccessarily a morning car, it doesn't like to be roused from its
lethargic torpor, but once it's up, it's okay.  I too would be keenly
interested in finding out why it does this.

						Regards,
			Night Owl----------->	Regan Copple
			Ditto--------------->	79 Spider
			Just Persnickety---->	73 Montreal

"Black cars look better in the shade." - Gino Vanelli