Re: alfa-digest V7 #57

>Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:33:25 -0700
>From: Nizam Zambri <nizam@domain.elided>
>Subject: Multiple-calipers on touring cars

>So now I've been doing more research and I'm sure some of you noticed that the
>Dodge Stratus in the US Touring Car series ran two sets of calipers on the
>front wheels.  There was one article I read somewhere (I think it was "Max
>Power") that said the Ford Mondeo Touring Cars in the UK run 8-piston calipers
>per front wheel (!)

The Fords use the Brembo 8-pot calipers (4 on each side, with 2 small pads
on each side - a 8-piston, 4 pad caliper!)
Lots of Touring cars use the 2 caliper setup, but its not necessary in most
cases.

>Okay, so I'm not going to go *that* crazy.
>
>However, what is there to be gained by having that much friction area?  We all
>know from College Physics that it is the force that we apply to the surface is
>what that matters.  Besides, if you cover up the disc area with a caliper,
>there's less room for heat to dissipate!

Touring cars discs are around 15" diameter, and the actual swept area isn't
that deep either (the outside of the disc rotates at a slowr speed than the
inside).
So they would have to be massive pads to cover a whole Touring car brake
disc :-)
I know someone who used to have twin GTV6 caliper on the front of their GTV
racecar, but it really meant that the pads lasted longer, offset by the cost
of buying TWO sets of front pads....and a bit more braking power...
I dont think the cost was worth it though - he sold the setup for about $1500.
Now he has the complete braking setup from a 1987 Group A Alfa 75 Touring car.
- --
Nathan Wong	       http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
	           - Alfa Romeo - Club Cars - Super Touring -
AlfaCors@domain.elided	 - Formula One - V8Supercars -