GTV's old and new

There is a new Twin Spark Alfa GTV in the employee car park here
now.  Lovely metallic burgundy colour with biscuit seats.  (no, it's
not mine unfortunately).

I saw one at Auto Italia in Canberra a few months ago and have to
admit I was less than impressed with the car in the flesh, the headlights
seemed too gaudy for the rest of the car.  The shape has grown on
me now.  Much like the way that a new CD can sometimes sound funny
and discordant until your brain is able to pick out the melodies.
I have to say the new GTV is a terrific looking car, it looks like
it's perched on it's haunches ready to pounce.

It makes my old Alfetta GTV look very sad indeed, although if you
squint you can see how the designer's might have used the Alfetta GTV
as a starting point, smooshing the shape, smoothing off the edges and
giving the whole car the sense of determination you get from looking
at an Alfetta GTV's nose.  Somehow, they have managed to avoid the
odd "extended" look that the Alfetta GTV has (although it still looks
more comfy in the back of an Alfetta than a new GTV, there is so little
space in the new car the rear seats look like an afterthought).

It's off to Arnoldo and Pino's in Sydney next week for some new springs to
stop it's exhaust from scraping on every speed bump in town, then
I suppose I will have to paint it, everything mechanical is now
new or reconditioned. I spent so much time over the last week getting
rid of vacuum leaks and generally tidying the car up that my MX-5
is now sulking with a dead battery.  It's supposed to be my reliable car!

dave.