164 electrical quirks

> My '91 164B is suffering from a power steering fluid leak. I've tried a
> couple of doses of stop leak, but the problem persists. Is this the
> dreaded steering rack failure I've heard tell of, or is the problem simpler
> and potentially less expensive to correct? (Fluid seems to be leaking from
> behind the left front wheel)

Sounds like the rack is leaking.

> The car is also exhibiting an increasing number of electrical gremlins in
> the dash displays. Although I don't view any of these as serious, I
> suppose I'd like to take care of them so that I don't don't eventually wind
> up with a disco light show every time I drive:
>
> 1. Red high temperature light on the temperature gauge lights up when
> car is started, and goes out when the car has warmed up;
Change the sending unit. I had the same problem

> 2. External and internal temperature display lights on the ventilation
> system have gone dead;
Bulbs are shot. One of mine is out, It is just time to take it apart.

> 3. Battery icon light on the dash display lights up for a few seconds
> periodically, particularly when car is started;  and
Check the tightness of your Alt. belt. Mine will do this after a large
puddle.

> 4. Radiator icon light on the dash display lights up periodically (30
> seconds max) during driving, although the fluid level in the cooling
> system is fine.
There is a small float sensor in the overflow tank that gets goo'ed up.
Disassemble and clean, problem solved.

Bill

Tampa
91 168 B