83 spider shifter problem

Greetings,

 A while back someone mentioned that the shif lever on their spider
would rotate from side to side while in gear and sometimes cause reverse
to be inaccessable. Mine is doing a similar thing. While in any gear the
lever can be moved from side to side a significant amount. I suspect
that something is wrong with the mounting pivot that the lever goes
through on it's way to the shifting rods.
 My question is: Can this be repaired from the interrior with the
console removed and the transmission in the car? If someone has ran into
this before or if the person who mentioned it previously found the
solution, I would appreciate some info on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Williams
87 milano
83 spider (black