re: Wheels & weights

Lee Scanlan wrote:
>Early last year I fitted a set of alloy wheels to my Alfetta, they are
>the type often fitted optionally, inscribed "Campanatura 45" and "Alfa
>Romeo 5 1/2 J14". I seem to remember being impressed with their light
>weight as well as their looks, cleaned, painted and fitted them. They'll
>help get me home tonight.
>Recently I've come across a second set, the same style obviously but not
>identical products, several detail differences. They also "seem" heavier
>than I remember the first set, now in use. I've weighed this second type
>at 7.2kg and a standard steel at 8.1kg - a total weight reduction of
>4.5kg across five wheels, big deal!

Yes, there are at least two different types of these wheels, just as you
describe.  The first set are older and were probably made by Cromodora or
Campagnolo.  These old "turbina" wheels are excellent.  They are light (<6
kg) and strong.  Now, I don't have any experience with FPS turbina wheels
for Alfettas, but I had occasion to weigh nearly identical-looking 6x14
Spider Veloce wheels made by Campagnolo and FPS.  The Campis weighed about
5.5 kg, while the FPS version was around about the same as a stock steel
wheel, around 8 kg.