Subject: GTV-6 questions

warren, you said:
>This Saturday I am going to test drive a 1983 GTV-6 that is for sale at
>a low price.  I've seen the car, and can't find any rust on the body.
>It's been sitting for a couple of years (although started and jockeyed
>around the block periodically.)  The paint has a patina of small cracks,
>but is otherwise intact.  The owner bought a 164 and let the GTV-6 sit.
>The car has been maintained by the same Alfa mechanic I use, and I have
>access to all maintenance records.
>
>Known problems: 2nd gear synchro (surprise!) and potential clutch work
>in the near future.  130k miles.  I've started the car (started very
>easy, and the engine was cold.)  Idles a little rough, but that could be
>from lack of driving and old gas in the tank.  Or a problem in the
>engine...
>
>Is there anything particular about this year model that I should know
>before going to drive it?  Since I'm a checkbook mechanic, I'm looking
>at this car as a long-term learning project for me... my mechanic has
>offered to teach me how to work on the car if I buy my parts from him
>(reasonable trade to me... he'll make a profit off the parts and I'll
>make a profit off the knowledge.)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR
>1988 Milano Platinum, "Snow Hawk", 148k miles, now with R134a A/C!
==================
warren, my gtv6 is an '86, so i can't help you w/the differences, tho i
understand that '83's have less a/c capacity, longer torsion bars, & a balkier
shift mechanism.  as far as driveability, i got mine 3.5 years ago, w/about 65k
miles.  after 60k hard niles of commuting & general deviant driving behavior,
the cost to r/r the a/c (which dint work when i got the car) has exceeded the
combined costs of ALL other maintenance.  of course, i've got a lot into the car
that it dint really need - shankle suspension, adjustable shocks, milano
platinum lsd trans w/litened gears, 15x8's w/225-50-15's...  anyways, great
somewhat reliable cars to beat on regularly...  look for rust inside the wheel
wells, under the hood at the top of the wheel wells, at the back by the spare
tire, the spare tire well itself.

hope this helps,

doug

ps - the one f/s in new england sounds kinda nice!  :>)