Re: rough idle in 164 rebuild

In message , ascher baer <ascher@domain.elided> writes
>after having received various suggestions on how to best handle my hydro
>locked engine, i took one of the poorer routes (slowly getting sucked in)
>and had an engine rebuild.  new valves, piston rings, new rod to replace
>bent, new belts, update timing belt tensioner, etc.  i just got the car
>back and the idle is very rough when started.  it hums when driven - even
>better than before, but will again idle rough when at a light.  i have
>only 50 miles on it, but my mechanic drove it for 70 or 80.  he tells me
>that the computer has to recalibrate and will take several hundred miles.
> could this be right?

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your mechanic to me. How is the
computer going to recalibrate? They either work or dont. (We dont need
Michael telling us that Mac computers are uncrashable here).
After 50 miles, I would guess that you have driven the car for at least
half an hour and I would guess that its sufficient time for a computer
to recalibrate itself if its going to.
A rebuilt engine should run like a new one IMHO or you need to look for
a fault. Bear in mind that your mechanic might have changed the things
necessary to get the engine back running, but may need to change more
things to make it run properly, he may be shy of asking you for even
more money for things he couldn't know were bad when you asked him to
fix your car.
- --
Jonathan Coates
164LV6 Daily driver