Click,click,click

     Brian wrote:
     From: Brian M Erdelyi <briane@domain.elided>
     Subject: Starting a '74 Spider goes click click click

     I can finally say I'm the proud owner of a '74 spider.  Got it this
     weekend. My first car and still getting comfortable with the clutch.
     The car DOES start.  But a funny thing started happeneing later on in
     the day.  Sometimes trying to start the car would just go click click
     click. I'm trying to remember if it's click.. or click click click.
     Waiting a short while the car will start again.

     Any suggestions?

     Brian Erdelyi
     briane@domain.elided

     Brian,
     Could be a weak battery. Check to see if the cells are full, if not
     add distilled water to fill the cells to the neck of the cell ports.
     You might want to check the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter.
     With everything off, it should read about 12.6 volts. Under cranking,
     the voltage will drop, but should still be around 11 or 12 Volts.
     If you make the same measurement while the engine is running, you
     should read about 13.6 to 14 volts. If readings are low, you may need
     some work to your alternator, or voltage regulator.
     Lots of luck with the "new" car.
     Len