Spider sun visors/colors/mirrors

1.    Visors  Many thanx to all that responded privately.  For the
benefit of the list, here's a summary.  The first thing I did was check
that the shafts that fits into the mounting bracket were not rotating.
Careful observation is in order.  If it isn't (as mine was not), then
tightening the screws that hold the clamp on the visor itself should
work. Since the screws tighten into a funky flat nut type of piece on
the back side of the visor, you should make sure that the nut isn't
rotating as you tighten the screw.  If it is, then use a small flat
screwdriver blade to hold the nut in place while you tighten the screw.
This is most easily done with the visor out of the car.

If the shaft itself is rotating when the visor is moved, then all the
tightening of the screw won't help.  The preferred method in that case,
I'm told, is to drill a hole through the visor bracket, through the
shaft and then insert a pin through the bracket and the shaft.  With the
shaft now held in place, the screw/nuts on the visor can adust the
tension (see above).  It seems like a small set screw or grub screw in
the visor bracket would do it, too, but that's not been suggested --
perhaps the plastic in the bracket  is too soft for threading?

2.    Colors.  The gentleman with the question about his '85 Spider's
color should check to see if the color label is still on the inside of
the trunk lid.  If there, it'll give the actual AR code for the color.

3.    Mirrors.  Does anybody have a suggestion on how to refinish the
black plastic frames on Spider mirrors?  Mine are quite faded, but it
seems like the mirror could be taken apart and the frame perhaps painted
black with urethane type paint.  I'm open to other suggestions since
"Back to Black" only lasts a day ot two down here.

Thanx!

Bill
President - AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider (got a real *nice* door ding courtesy of my mother-in-law)

End of alfa-digest V7 #28