Miatas

I have to weigh in on the whole Miata issue.  Having just decided to buy
(another) Alfa after 5 years without a convertible, my choices were Spider or
Miata.

While Miatas are ubiquitous and can be had for low prices now, there is just
something antispetic about the car and everyone is correct about the typical
Miata driver.  Maybe it is the A/C (thank God my "new" '84 Spider's A/C
doesn't work!).

Plus, who wants to see themselves coming and going all the time and be
associated with these people more concerned about their hair than the sheer
joy of top-down motoring?

I have to admit there is a certain appeal to bulletproof reliability and the
handling is fun, but my old '78 Spider never left me stranded in 7 years of
hard use and who can resist the wonderful logic of the shoulder-level shifter,
the unique Italian driving position, and the technology that (when new) was 30
years ahead of the vaunted Japanese (and has only recently become de rigueur
among all makers)!

I have met few people that owned an Alfa that didn't come to love them all!
If only we could get them back in the US :(  I envy all you Europeans on this
list!

Jay Scism
'84 Spider Veloce