The archaeology of rhinoplasty

In AD7-025 Scott Fisher writes:

"So it occurred to me that, for example, had the unfortunate previous
owner of my GT driven straight into whatever he hit, rather than
clipping it at an oblique angle, he or she might have been an excellent
candidate to have a matching seam over the passenger's side wheel, and
the whole front clip replaced."

This seems compatible with what I wrote in AD7-023 in response to Richard
Welty:

"I would think it might be a reasonable alteration if one's nose had been
thoroughly pranged, but it would take a lot more than adding a filler panel
across the top; the fronts of the fenders, parking lights, lamp-houses, and a
lot more would need to be changed. It would not be nearly as easy as upgrading
one's Giulietta Spider to a Pseudogiulia. Has anyone seen a certifiably
earlier Sprint GT- say, a '65- which had been so kustomized?"

Scott's car provides another datapoint on the stepnose changeover; he deduced
that his car's collision occurred in 1974 as "The wheel at that corner is
date-coded 1974, where the other wheels are date-coded 1971" (which doesn't
say much for his faith in the tire-rotation practices of the PO), suggesting
that the car is a '71 or at least has a '71 build date IF it has the original,
correctly dated wheels. D'Amico-Tabucchi said that the new frontal treatment
was introduced at the 1970 Turin show, and that production of the traditional
front ended with car #1257114. In d'Amico-Tabucchi's "Numerazione dei telai e
dei motori" table for the Giulia 1300 Junior the numbers for 1970, not 1971,
run from 1246009 to 1257114 (the break-point) and from 1260001 to 1262184.
Fusi's numbers are substantially different, for 1970 1242302 to 1255269 and
for 1971 from 1255270 to 1269444, which would put the break-point 1,844 cars
into the 14,174 car 1971 production of 105.30s. Assuming neither set of
numbers is completely bogus, d'A-T must be going by the calendar and Fusi by
the nominal model year, and Scott's car would have been about one and a half
months into the roughly September-to-September model year, which would not
account for 1971 dates on the wheels. You sort it from there, I'm tired..

John

End of alfa-digest V7 #26