164S Shift Knob

I'm refurbing the interior of my 92 164S (85K miles). The shifter knob
stitching is frayed, and the leather is starting to split. I went to A.P.E.
and found another one in the same basic shape, firmly stuck to the shifter
rod. The folks at A.P.E. mentioned they've never been able to take the shift
knob off the rod. Anybody out there have experience replacing the knob? I
have a nice Momo that's supposed to fit, but if I can't get the old one
off...

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA