Re: Starter

David,

> One thing I might add is about the time it is taking to start the car.
> When the computer senses that the engine did not start straight away it
> goes into the "fallback mode" where it sets all the parameters to
> something special that has a really strong chance of starting the car.
> This happens after about 3 or 4 seconds of continued cranking.  So the
> idea is that when you are starting the car, keep cranking.  There is not
> a lot of value in having jabs at the key.  Turn it to crank and hold it
> till it starts.  You shouldn't need to put your foot on the throttle,
> but it can help as a diagnosis tool!  That may indicate a faulty
> Throttle Position Switch.  Something as simple as the TPS not working,
> can stop the car from starting cleanly, of course.
>
> > I apologise for this long winded post but it is best to have all the
> > information.

	Excuse me, but that is a really good way to shorten the life of or
even damage your starter motor.  Those motors are designed to deliver a
high amount of torque to start your engine quickly.  This means that they
tend to heat up very quickly because of the amount of current passing
through the copper core windings.  It would be the equivalent of driving
your car for an extended amount of time in first gear at high speeds.  You
can do it, but it wouldn't be very smart to do such a thing.  At the most
a starter motor should be engaged for 20 seconds MAXIMUM, then allowed to
cool anywhere from 30 seconds for up to a minute before the next attempt
is made.  And even then if you attempt this for five times in a row it
would be advisable to let the starter motor cool for about ten to twenty
minutes afterwards if the car still doesn't start.  This is just my
opinion based on my experiences, I'm sure some of the resident alfa gurus
might have concurring or contradictory opinions.  So Fred, Bill, Karl, if
you have any light to shed on this let's hear it.  Just my 2 cents.

					Regards,
					Regan Copple
					79 Spider Veloce
					73 Montreal