hot radiators

Rich,
you asked about wiring the radiator fan around the ignition:
last week (during our hot spell) someone needed a jump in the parking
lot...
I noticed the electric radiator fan was spinning slowly.  after hooking
up the
jumper cables the fan started spinning much faster(!!).  the car had
been
sitting for a couple hours, and the owner had made only several short
trips
during the day.  This led me to believe that the fan running all day
must
have run the battery down.  I realize 175 degrees is very high, and
maybe
the temp sensor was messed up.  But since water in the radiator isn't
moving
(much) the fan isn't cooling the area where the temp sensor resides very

effectively, adding to the problem and begging the question, why would
you want to hook up the fan to bypass the ignition?  To me, the benefits

of cooling stagnant water in the radiator don't seem to make up for the
extra risk(s).  I think most newer cars don't run the fan after
shutdown,
it seems to me only an '80s thing, maybe someone else ran into a similar

problem.  maybe I need a little education.  anyone?

dan in KC