Removing Stickers Intact

Anyone had luck in removing stickers from their cars intact?  I need the fuel
filler lid sticker for my '74 gtv.  I have a lid, with a good sticker, from
another gtv, but want to remove it and put it on the other car.  One method
I've heard to work is a heat gun, but I'm afraid of distorting the sticker.
I am not worried about ruining the paint since the parts will be repainted.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks also for all the help in finding the Recaro fabric.  I found a local
distributor.  It's on the way.

Bob Brady, DVAROC