Re: cracked bellhousing on 74 GTV

At 06:00 PM 8/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>The bellhousing on my 74 GTV has cracked where the starter attaches to it.
 This
>is the second time I've had this failure.  The first one lasted about 160K
miles
>(18 years).  The second one (it was used) lasted about 40K miles (6
years).  Is
>this a common problem and if so is there a suggested fix besides just
replacing
>it that might increase the lifetime of the repair?

the question is "why did it crack?"
it is currently cracked on my 1973 gtv; the reason is that when the car was
reassembled by bobcor years ago (back before i bought it), they used the
wrong bolt for the center hole of the three that attach the starter.  yes,
the center bolt is different, and if you use the wrong one, the bellhousing
cracks.

the center bolt has an enlarged and extended shoulder, and conventional
bolts are too loose and don't locate the starter properly.

richard