Re: Classic & Sports Cars

Steve An wrote:

> - Lastly, my opinion somewhat differs from yours on this school vs the
> Bondurant, Barber etc...

This is good to know -- after all, my "opinion" was only about the
relative *prices*, not about the relative *worth*.  It's good to hear
from someone who actually took this course.

> 3. The ring is a terrible place to learn to drive, IMHO.

I can believe that -- just as a 2.7RS or Tipo 159 is probably a terrible
car to learn to drive.  That being said, driving the Ring is on my List
of Things To Do Before I Die.

> I also love open wheel cars far more than any street cars.

While I can certainly understand this, the movie that plays inside *my*
head has me in a production-based sports car, preferably either English
or Italian, preferably driven to the track the night before, then the
headlights taped up and numbers affixed to the side as I go out and do
battle with other production-based sports cars... why, yes, as a matter
of fact I *do* know I'm nuts.

Worse yet, I actually *did* this (well, the car arrived on a trailer and
the headlights had been replaced with screen-covered brake cooling
ducts, but you get the point.)

> For my money, I would attend a Formula Ford school and drive on the Ring
> whenever I get the chance, which you can still do for 20 DM per lap.

My money isn't all that different from yours, then -- I did SCCA
Competition Driver's School (years ago, in preparation for driving that
production category sports car around Sears Point and Laguna Seca), and
*will* one day drive the Ring for 20 DM or whatever it goes for when I
get there.

> At 800 lbs Sterling, Scuderia Hanseat is even more boutique racing than it
> was in 1986, I can't honestly recommend it.

Goodness, then, I'll stop payment on my check immediately! :-)
Seriously, thanks for the warning -- from the article, it *sounded* like
the perfect thing.  I guess it's just the idea of driving my Alfa around
the Ring that had me so excited... that *would* be perfect.

Thanks again,

- --Scott Fisher