re Airplane enforcement

     Greg writes:
     Subject: Airplane enforcement

     I was driving (nay, speeding) through the state of California and I
     whizzed by several speed limit signs that said that they were enforced
     by airplanes. I decided that this was an easy way to scare folks into
     going the speed limit, thinking that they were being watched from
     above, and that it was not a real threat for me, so I kept on
     speeding. In fact, if I was on a California interstate right now, I
     would probably be going really fast. Is there anyone who has been
     caught by the airplane enforcement out in the scarcely populated
     regions of the state? Or even the densely populated regions? My theory
     is that it is just an inside joke among the state troopers.
     Best,
     Gregory Scott

     While I have never been caught by a CHP plane, I have seen the CHP
     plane at San Luis Obispo airport. It is a Cessna 180, tail dragger,
     painted black and white (what else for the CHP?)
     They use a taildragger since they might be called on to land in a
     local field (not an airfield) to give aid in an emergency.
     I have seen the plane patrolling I-5 going north and south thru
     central California.
     It is a serious airplane, not a CHP joke. I believe they have two or
     more in use in California. Watch your rear view mirror, have it
     pointed up!
     Len