Alfa 166 spotted in the states

It's true and the car was brush painted flat black with plenty of runs.  I
drove
my 164 to the Meadowbrook Historic races yesterday and it was parked right
out at the front gate.  It's presence wasn't too surprising since Fiat R&D is
in the Detroit area and, as a result Alfa/Fiat/Lancia sightings aren't
entirely uncommon.

About the car, it seems to be a pretty nice piece (except for the paint).
Being
a designer by profession I spent alot of time examining the sheetmetal and so
forth.  The car was more well proportioned than what I had seen in photos but
some of the body surfacing seemed a bit contrived.  The sculpted bodyside
didn't come off as natural as that on the 156.  Also,  the taillamp shapes
were
a bit arbitrary compared with the 156 and the headlamps were out of scale with
the rest of the car.  The chrome grille surround was a very nice evolution of
the
traditional Alfa "heart"- really jewel-like.  The interior seemed to be quite
nice
with quality materials, chrome guage bezels and a more driver oriented
architecture
than the 164.

Did I like the car?  Of course.  It was attractive and it was an Alfa.  It
just didn't
seem to be as unique relative to its market segment as the 156 is to its
segment.
I could see the 156 selling in the states in fairly strong numbers.  I don't
think I
could say the same for the 166.

Bob Boniface

84 GTV6 (Pretty Hate Machine)
91 164L 5 spd (93,500 mile daily driver)
60 Giulietta Spider