Oil Leak on Spider

Checkbook,
     My checkbook limitations required me to replace a waterpump on my 89
Spider myself.  I knew it would be messy, because I had an oil leak behind
the belts.  To the horror of my fellow apartment dwellers, I tore down in
the parking lot.  Since I was making a mess anyway, I cleaned the block
before installing the new waterpump.  Now, two weeks later, not a drop of
oil has soiled my engine bay.
      The leak was diagnosed by two very respected guru's as a main seal
problem.  Why? You ask.  Because I didn't debelt and clean before diagnosis.
 Had I done so the two alfa masters would have laughed at the simplicity of
the problem.  The moral of the story is - clean it up and watch it.  There
are several places that oil comes in contact with joints, any one can leak.
Had I cleaned up and found which one it was, I would have slept a little
better.

Lucky in Seattle,
Duke