Re: 164 with rebuilt engine that won't start

In message , ascher baer <ascher@domain.elided> writes
>ok, here's the situation:  i've been patiently waiting while my '91 164
>engine gets overhauled.  After becoming hydrolocked, and having only
>slight damage to the valves, it was determined (confirmed with respect to
>the sound alfisti advice i got from ad) that i had lower engine damage.
>after my local mechanic took his time with it i sent it to an alfa shop
>in the area.
>
>it's back together with two replaced rods and runs fine. but; it won't
>start in the mornings when cold.  i haven't seen it, but i'm told that
>it's got to be started "by hand" and once running and warm, purrs like a
>happy kitten.  i'm looking to get my car back, so does anyone have any
>clue as to what might be wrong.

Could be the thermo sensor for the Motronic, it's the one "round the
corner", not the one with two wires on the casting above the water pump.
If you leave off the wire it's a pain to start the car, though it will
run fine once lit.
Also there is an earth lead to complete the circuit for the sensors in
this area. If your overheat light is on (you guessed you could ignore it
as you know it's lying?) then the earth connection has been missed. Very
easy to miss if you don't know it's there. The earth (ground) connection
is at the front of the casting next to the gauge/warning lamp sensor
unit and consists of a threaded hole (M6 ish) which you can barely see,
much less get a screw in.
Good luck
- --
Jonathan Coates