Jumping cams

Alfisti

I had a little scare yesterday with my 88 Milano Gold.  In my way to a
meeting, I stopped for gas.  After filling-up, I tried to start the car,
but it did not on the first click.  I clicked again and hell brook lose
under the hood, loud clicking noise.  Shut the car, opened the hood and
looked for loose parts, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. none were there.
Started the car again hoping the noise will disappear, but did not, the
noise was coming from the passenger side valve area.  The engine was
running fine no shaking.  I am about 5 blocks from home, so I basically
drove it there very slowly.  I found a nice shade in the parking lot and
left it there.  Called the office and got a ride to and back from my
meeting.  I took the rest of the day off.

When I got back, I took the valve cover off on the passenger side and
all spark plugs.  Manually turned the engine to bring it to TDC using a
wrench on the power steering pump nut.  I discovered that the cam on the
passenger side had jumped several teeth forward (clockwise).  I did not
count and did not care at this point.  I am seeing $$$ flying allover
the place and away from me.

I temporarily adjusted the cams and did a compression test.  All three
cylinders were ok.  Time for a cold one.  Now I have to find the
procedure for adjusting the mechanical tenssioner.  If you ask me I
think the hydraulic tenssioner is better, because my belt never jumped
before I changed to the mechanical.  What I noticed when playing with
the belt, that if you go backward (engine runs counterclock) the belt
lefts up from the passenger cam pulley, and I think that's what happened
when the engine did not start on the first click it must have turned
backward.  Anyway the car is fine now.

On the water pump survey:  when I both my car it had 34K on it and it
looked like the valve covers had been removed, which leads me to believe
the water pump had been replaced before 34K.  When exactly I do not
know.  I replaced the one that came with it at about 48K.  The car now
has 75K and no signs of trouble yet.

Fred my e-mail addresses are listed below.

Abe Kheraz
Madison, Wisconsin
(608) 266-1335
kherai@domain.elided <mailto:Kherai@domain.elided>