Re: 2.5l Water Pumps

Something anecdotal I forgot to mention last time--one of my mechanic's
theories about why GTV-6 (and maybe early Milano) water pumps were more prone
to failure, was that failure of early head gaskets, and contamination of
coolant with engine oil, accelerated bearing and seal wear.  If this were
partially true, you would see longer life (assuming proper belt tension) after
the change to one piece head gaskets or the replacement of old head gaskets. I
had a bad pump at 20k mi with bad head gaskets, have 30k mi on new pump, late
gaskets, so far so good...

Chris Attias
'84 GTV-6 2.5