Tacho adjust

Willie Roos writes in AD V7/6;

>I forgot to tell you the most easy way to get your
tacho right. Just swap the speedometer pinion on the gear box. If
you have a 10/41 ratio, get a 9/41 or 8/41 pinion.

I'm not sure how tinkering with the gearbox can bring about changes in
the tacho, but if it's the speedometer Willie wants to adjust I'd be a
bit surprised if this quick fix works. The gearbox speedo drive gears I
believe are a set, much the same as differential pinion and crown wheels
are a set. Changing the pinion alone I reckon will result in a mis-mesh
- - diameters are different, tooth shape changes so the gears may not even
touch let alone mesh!
But if Willie has done this with success then I stand corrected.
Lee. Perth. W.Australia.