RE: Strange Spider

Reference John Katos problem with his slow cranking spider:

John,  I hate to mention this but your situation of the spider cranking
slower with the clutch pedal pushed in is characteristic of bad thrust
washers allowing the crank to move foreward and bind. Get a long screwdriver
on the crank pully and see how much fore and aft movement you can get. (
Don't break the pully) I think the spec is only 10 or so thou. More than
that indicates worn thrust bearings. Are you leaking oil from the front main
seal? One cause of leaking is the crank moving back and forth in the seal.
I hope I'm wrong on this, but changing the thrust bearings is not all that bad.

Ed Mackey    Las Cruces, New Mexico - USA (The USA means North of the Rio
Grande)