GTV6 shifter position, whining rear

     Thanks to those who replied to my 81 GTV6 shifter position inquiry.
     Everyone suggested that the fault that causes the shifter to rest
     between 5th and R rather than between 3rd and 4th is likely to be in
     the external linkage alignment.  I had suspected that the problem is
     somewhere inside the gearbox because the shifter operates fine with
     the exception of some extra effort needed to bring it to the far left
     between 1st and 2nd.  There is definitely some kind of spring tension
     that is excessively pushing the lever to the far right.  I don't know
     of a spring external to the gearbox that positions the lever.  Does
     anyone know if there is a spring mechanism inside the tranny that
     normally holds the lever between 3rd and 4th when the transmission is
     in neutral? If so, what is the best way of checking it?

     In regards to the Milano whining noise mentioned by pickerij@,  I had
     a similar problem in my Sport Sedan since I bought it 4 years ago. In
     addition to the symptoms mentioned below, my noise was more noticeable
     on hot days.  Also, the noise would sometimes change when the vehicle
     weight was shifted, but there was no clear-cut pattern. Changing
     bearings had no effect. I have known other 116 cars with the same
     whine, whose location is very difficult to trace.  In my case, I
     recently found that the bushing at the front of the DeDion triangle
     had deteriorated.  The whining is now gone with a new bushing in
     place.  Hope this helps.
     -Farzan

     From: pickerij@domain.elided
     Subject: Milano rear end

     I think the crown and pinion in my Milano is giving up the fight The
     whining noise from the back is getting worse I suspect the crown and
     pinion because the noise is constant regardless of what gear I'm in or
     even whether or not the clutch is engaged........Tossing the car (as
     if anyone can toss a Milano :-) into a left hand corner so as to throw
     the weight onto the right wheels nearly eliminates the whine
LEGAL NOTICE:

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and
may be privileged.  It is intended for the addressee(s) only.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not
an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this e-mail
or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and
may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender
immediately.

End of alfa-digest V7 #5