Re: alfa-digest V7 #3 RE:Strange Spider

Subject: Strange Spider

I am perplexed. My 73 spider has been exhibiting a strange quirk for a
long
time. Under all conditions I have tried the engine turns/runs slower
with the
clutch engaged. Thus when I am starting it turns over SIGNIFICANTLY
faster
with the clutch released than when engaged. It will also idle faster,
hot or
cold with the clutch released. I have run a second ground cable from the

battery cable to body connection to a starter bolt with little to
marginal
results. I have run with points and a new XR700 opto ignition systems.
Any
ideas?
John Katos

John, If I read you correctly, clutch engaged - disengaged, you must
have transmission lube as heavy as the heaviest made.   I don't know
where you live but if it is Summer where you are now, then I'd bet in
Winter when the temp might go down to freezing or lower, the engine
won't turn over freely if at all.

Change to a synthetic and watch your car fly faster than ever, and the
engine crank faster as well.  Fred Di Matteo