Milano rear end

I think the crown and pinion in my Milano is giving up the fight=2E The  =20
whining noise from the back is getting worse=2E I suspect the crown and  =20
pinion because the noise is constant regardless of what gear I'm in or  =20
even whether or not the clutch is engaged=2E And it's been getting slowly =20=
=20
worse for about two thousand miles (that is, all the way back to Toronto  =20
from Santa Fe)=2E Tossing the car (as if anyone can toss a Milano :-) into=20=
 =20
a left hand corner so as to throw the weight onto the right wheels nearly =20=
=20
eliminates the whine=2E

Is my suspicion of the crown and pinion correct? How long can I defer  =20
repairs without causing more expensive damage? Can I damage the rest of  =20
the transaxle by waiting? If this were to fail completely, what state  =20
would the car be in? - towable? Rumours have it that this repair is a  =20
rather big job entailing disassembly of most of the rear end - correct?

Comments please=2E

Yours in Alfas,
John Pickering
Toronto =20