CVT's

Ryan

The CVT box Fiat use was a joint venture with ford. I
have driven 2 cars with this box, the first a Lancia Y10
and the second a Punto.

The Y10 was so slow that we assumed that the engine =

was totally shot, but driving the Punto just proved that
it was the gearbox. Up to 40 it was fine, but beyond =

that you needed a lot of patience and time.

The Alfa box that is due to come out is a manual =

gearbox with electro-hydraulic control by all rumours
I have heard. Manual boxes are far more efficient than
auto's, and CVT's are not much better than a =

hydraulic auto. I have not heard of any large engined
cars with CVT boxes (1.4L max). A manual box
which can change gear itself (such as the Ferrari
355 F1 box) should have the advantages of both.

A 146 with a conventional or CVT auto sounds
like my idea of hell.....Sorry.

all the best

Keith